International Symposium on Responsible Peatland Management
and Growing Media Production
Québec City, Canada, 13-17 June, 2011
Program \ Workshop on Sphagnum farming
WORKSHOP ON SPHAGNUM FARMING
Organizers: Line Rochefort and Josée Landry, Peatland Ecology Research Group, Université Laval
Deadline for registration: Wednesday, June 7th, 2011
Description: On June 20 and June 21, 2011, after the symposium held in Québec City, the Peatland Ecology Research Group will organise a workshop on Sphagnum farming in New Brunswick province. It will be an interactive workshop, allowing the participants to exchange information and ideas on each aspect of Sphagnum farming. Participants would prepare two or three slides of results for a list of themes described below; each participant would have the possibility to present one or many short presentations generating group discussions. The first day of the workshop will be dedicated to general sessions. The morning will start with the evaluation of economical feasibility of Sphagnum farming and its potential to rapidly produce Sphagnum biomass. It will be followed by the different uses of Sphagnum fibre and living Sphagnum. In the afternoon, the presentations will focus on ways to optimize Sphagnum farming cycles either by choosing the right target species, adding growing structures, substrate conditioning or by a better control of the hydrology. In the morning of June 21st, another general session will take place, this time focusing on the challenges of Sphagnum farming, such as algae, fungi and control of invasive species. To close the workshop, a field trip will be organized at the Experimental Sphagnum Farming Station in Shippagan (New Brunswick) where the participants will be able to see production cycles initiated in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
Schedule: 2 possibilities:
– 4-day tour (from Québec City to New Brunswick: 1400 km round trip): departure at 7:30 on Sunday, June 19, 2011, arrival at 20:00 on Wednesday, June 22. NB: possibilities to combine Excursion 1 and Sphagnum Farming Workshop back to back. If so, please signify your intent.
– 2-day workshop (New Brunswick residents): Beginning at 8:30 on Monday, June 20, ending at 17:30 on Tuesday, June 21.
Sphagnum Farming Workshop fees: 3 types of rates are available to suit your needs:
– 460 $ CAD for participants who need transportation from and to Québec City (1400 km round trip) and lodgement in New Brunswick. Fee includes transportation from and to the conference center (Loews le Concorde Hotel), admission, lodging (three nights, double occupancy), breakfasts, two lunches (June 20-21), and snacks. Meals (lunch and dinner) during the two days of transportation (June 19 and 22) are not included (but bus stops are planned). Participants should be aware that transportation represents about 16 hour drive in total.
– 175 $ CAD for participants who do not need transportation from and to Québec City nor lodgement in New Brunswick. Fee includes admission, two lunches (June 20-21), and snacks.
– 300 $ CAD for participants who need transportation from and to Québec City but do not need lodgement in New Brunswick. Fee includes admission, two lunches (June 20-21), and snacks. Meals (lunch and dinner) during the two days of transportation (June 19 and 22) are not included (but bus stops are planned). Participants should be aware that transportation represents about 16 hour drive in total.
Number of participants: Minimum 17 to maximum 45.